Temple Chai Library
The goal of the Temple Chai library is to provide educational and recreational resources on Jewish topics to the Early Childhood Center, the Religious School, and our congregants. Located at the north end of the small sanctuary, over 6,300 books are available for loan from the Temple Chai library. You will find wide variety of fiction and non-fiction works about holidays, Judaism, folklore, Yiddish, Hebrew, humor, cooking, life cycles, and crafts just to name a few. There are also DVDs, music CDs and some books on cassette as well as our reference library.
How does it work?
Our self-service library operates on the honor system and it can be accessed any time the office building is open. Any Temple member or teacher can borrow a book or media from the library. About a month prior to most holidays, appropriate books are moved to a metal book cart for easy access.
- You can peruse the cart for books about upcoming holidays or use the card catalog to locate a book on a topic or by author. (Nonfiction books are shelved by call number and fiction by author's last name.)
- Locate the checkout card inside the front cover of the book
- Clearly write your first and last name, phone number, and the day's date
- Place the card in the book card holder that is located on the card catalog.
- Please, NEVER borrow a book from the library without first checking it out.
- Place returned materials in the labeled brown plastic tub on the low counter inside the library.
How you can help the library grow
If you care to make a contribution in memory or in honor of a person or event, or simply to help our collection grow, the Shuman Library Fund is a choice on the temple donation envelope. Watch for the Sefer Mitzvah Magic program during National Jewish Book Month (November/December), an opportunity for you to give books we have selected for our growing collection. We are also happy to accept your donations at any time of used or new books with a Jewish theme (books we cannot use in our collection are given to the annual Temple book sale).
If you have any thoughts with regard to library programming or wish to volunteer, please let our librarian Carol know. She can be reached at 602-993-1725 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet our Librarian
The Temple Chai Shuman Library was born when Sylvia Shuman made a sizeable donation in memory of her late husband. Coordinated by Temple member, Carol Janoff, a librarian by profession, the library has grown from under 100 books to well over 6000 books in our inventory today. Carol lovingly and painstakingly catalogues and cares for our growing collection. Carol is a member of the Association of Jewish Libraries, which provides excellent book reviews. Ideas also come from the journal, Reform Judaism. Carol manages all the ordering, receiving, processing and cataloging of the library collection, and also writes a monthly library column for the Chai Lights magazine.